Saturday, April 12, 2008

Weed workout and roses

I have the sorest thighs and shoulders ever! Thursday's rain softened the ground enough that I could not resist going to the garden and working. All day Friday I pulled and pulled and pulled out everything that was invading space that I want to plant my cosmos and zinnias. It had been since last summer that I worked out that hard. Now I am sore. Gardening is the best workout and it is so much fun you don't even realize you are working out until the next day when you can barely move. Here is my vintage Zepherine Drouhin rose it smells like raspberries.
I picked this bourbon rose for the arbor because it is thornless.
My China rose, Old blush that came over from the front yard and is growing on the top of the rock wall. This rose is about the longest blooming rose around. It blooms 10 months out of the year. In light winters it will bloom 11 months. It grows fast, about 20 feet in one season. Another great thing about the old blush is that it can take neglect and is known as the "can't fail" rose. It has the scent of apple blossoms. Oh so sweet!
I found this red salvia growing between our scanoe and the side of the house. Funny thing is, I don't even have a flower bed around this side of the house. It is one of those peekaboo flowers that decides where it will hide next. I just love it.
Zephrine close up with a spider investigating.
Here is a hummingbird that i caught at the feeder today. We have two that just love fighting over who gets to sit and slurp.

1 comment:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

awesome caatch w/the hb your roses are the sweetest color I need one of those OBbushes