Wednesday, March 05, 2008

My first Caucus

I attended my first caucus last night. I was in awe. Even though it was extremely disorganized, it was exhilarating. I was energized by those around me. Everyone had one thing in common, THEY WANT CHANGE! We waited outside in the could for almost 2 hours. It was unbelievable when the Republican caucus person came out and asked for all the people for the Republican caucus to come over to her area, no one came. So she asked again, no one came. She said it one more time and then the whole crowd booed. I couldn't believe that everyone there was for the Democratic Caucus. What I could see is that this country wants change, they are fed up with the powers that be. I hope this momentum carries on and builds towards November. I have never seen such interest in an election in my life. My hope is that whoever is chosen to run as the Democratic candidate is strong enough to endure the torture ahead. It can get very ugly out there with all the needless mudslinging. It was nice last night to see that people from all walks of life were realizing to get change you have to be active and give some of your time. You cannot sit around and wait for someone to do it for you. I have a new hope because of this experience, a new hope that we may get CHANGE!


Here is a quote from the Obama Camp:

"We knew that the closer we got to the change we seek, the more we'd see of the politics we're trying to end -- the attacks and distortions that try to distract us from the issues that matter to people's lives, the stunts and the tactics that ask us to fear instead of hope.
But this time -- this year -- it will not work. The challenges are too great. The stakes are too high. Americans need real change."



Here is an excerpt from CNN:
As polling places closed Tuesday evening, Texans were reportedly lining up in bigger-than-expected numbers for the caucuses -- in some places lining up in parking lots and overflowing buildings where caucuses were held.
A CNN I-reporter in Houston reported hundreds of people at his polling place -- saying he had to wait for over an hour just to sign in.
In Austin, about 800 people showed up -- far outstripping expectations and causing organizers to stand on top of tables and yell to organize caucus-goers, one voter said.


Couldn't find anything yet at the Hillary Camp, but I will post when I do!


Isn't this exciting! People are showing interest!

2 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

i was told there was NO republican caucus as was everyone I know that that is only the way the democrats do it. Having worked the polls before I was APALLED at the lack of direction Everyone stood in line and was handed a Democratic Ballot and you had to take it back and ask for a republican one if you wanted to vote republican it was a travesty

Love My Cottage Garden said...

The Dallas morning news had this to say about the Republican Caucus:

The Texas Republican Party also holds caucuses after the polls close on Election Day, but those are strictly used to select who gets to go on to high-level party conventions, not to divide up delegates.

Apparently, they do have a caucus but not to divide up delegates. That must be why there was a chairperson there to represent the party.